My husband and I honeymooned on Maui and had the most amazing pineapple cake along the Highway to Hana. This cake is a salute to our tropical get away and biting into the sweet life of sunny days and crashing surf. We set our cake apart by simmering the pineapple in a rich caramel made with Olivio Buttery Spread. Imagine enjoying the goodness of Olive Oil, every day…even in your cake!
- Preheat oven to 350* and butter a 9″ round cake pan with Olivio Buttery Spread.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the granulated sugar with the water. Gently swirl the pan until the sugar is well mixed and bring to a boil over high heat. Let the sugar mixture boil vigorously untouched and wait for the mixture to begin to brown, about 3-4 minutes. As the syrup thickens, the bubbles will slow. Gently swirl the pan until the syrup reaches a medium amber brown color.
- Turn the heat to low and carefully add the 6 Tbs of Olivio Buttery Spread. Next, add the pineapple chunks and turn the heat back to medium high until the mixture begins to bubble again and then allow to slowly simmer for 10 minutes or until pineapple is caramelized and golden brown.
- Remove the pineapple from the pan and arrange in the buttered cake pan in orderly circles. Continue to reduce the syrup mixture until thick and syrupy and then drizzle on top of pineapple in the cake pan.
- Gently pour the cake batter on top and bake according to the cake baking instructions. Pull from oven and allow to partially cool for 20 minutes before flipping it carefully out onto a serving plate.
This is delicious served with a dollop of plain greek yogurt. The cold, sour yogurt is a great compliment to the sweet and decadent cake. Enjoy!