Chicken and waffles! There are so many fun ways to enjoy this proven pairing. Today, we made Chicken and Waffle BLTs. We used Olivio Spray in our waffle batter for a rich buttery flavor. We knocked down the typically sweet mix with chives, cheddar and pepper. Thick, baked slabs of applewood smoked bacon and our house fried chicken with a buttermilk sriracha and tarragon batter rounded out the flavor profile. A nod to the South with a pinch of Hipster, these are mile high sandwiches that call for a big appetite… and a knife and fork. Yum!
- Preheat the waffle press on medium low heat. And preheat oven to 250* with a baking sheet and cooking rack.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cracked pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, Olivio Buttery Spray and buttermilk.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Gently add the cheddar and chives. Be careful not to over mix. A clumpy batter yields the lightest, most delicious waffles!
- Using a ½ cup measuring unit, pour batter onto waffle press surface and cook 3-4 minutes until a light golden brown. Remove from press and place on baking rack in the warm oven. This will keep waffles warm while you cook off the rest and give you a nice crisp exterior texture.
- Use these delicious savory waffles like you would use slices of bread for a delicious Chicken and Waffle BLT!