Are you back to school yet? Keep the excitement level high and think outside the box when it comes to great snacks and sides. Monkey bread is always a favorite around here. All ages love to reach in and pull off a delicious hunk of something tasty. This week we made monkey bread filled with a delicious traditional red sauce and chunks of mozzarella. We basted the stuffed dough in olive oil and Italian herbs, then coated the bundt pan with Olivio Buttery Spray for a delicious crust. Monkey bread got a Mediterranean make over and we’re all loving it!
- Follow the Olivio Pizza Dough recipe through Step 6. Then knead dough and divide into 16 equal dough balls.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, sauté the onion in a tsp of Olive Oil until slightly translucent (2-3 minutes). Then add the garlic, tomatoes and 1 tsp of Italian Herbs, simmer on medium low heat for 8 minutes until tomatoes break down. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375*. Prepare your baking dish. Bundt pans work great as do spring form. Use your Olivio Buttery Spray to generously cover the baker’s surface. This will help you easily remove the monkey bread after baking and add delicious Mediterranean flavor to the crust.
- In a small dish, combine the Olive Oil and remaining Italian Herbs.
- Using your hands and fingers, form pancake like discs out of the pizza dough approximately 1/2″ thick and 4″ round. In the center of each dough disc, place 1 Tbs red sauce and 1 chunk of mozzarella. Then pinch the dough together to make a stuffed purse of pizza goodness! Roll the stuffed dough purse in the Olive Oil with Italian Herbs and arrange in the baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and has a hollow “tap” to it when you knock it with your finger.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Run a pairing knife along the edge and flip it upside down on a serving platter. Gently remove the baking dish and enjoy warm!