This summer cake walks across the day with versatility. The lemony crumble makes it a delicious and decadent brunch or tea cake. The density of the pound cake brings a smile to my face when we pull this out for a summer dessert. Whether you are savoring every forkful with a cup of coffee or a scoop of ice cream, I promise you will love the bright summer flavors. Best yet, Olivio and the goodness of olive oil keep our heart health high and the flavor buttery rich. Enjoy!
- For the Crumble: Mix together 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp salt with a fork. Add 1 Tbs lemon zest. Add 4 Tbs melted Olivio. Stir with fork until mixture is a crumbly consistency.
- For the Rhubarb:Place sliced rhubarb in a medium mixing bowl. Add thyme and 3/4 cup sugar. Toss to evenly distribute and let sit a minimum of 5 minutes to release juices, mixing once.
- For the Cake:Preheat oven to 350F
- Generously butter the muffin tin with Olivio Buttery Spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine 1 Tbs Olivio Buttery Spread and remaining 1 cup sugar. Beat on medium speed with the paddle attachment until the mixture is pale and creamy. Beat in remaining 1 Tbs lemon zest and juice. Add eggs, one at a time. Continue mixing on medium until mixture is smooth. Scrape down sides when necessary.
- Turn the mixer to low. In three increments, add the flour mixture and yogurt- alternating between the two and scraping down the side of the bowl when necessary. Be careful not to over mix. Turn up to medium-high for 3 seconds to smooth out mixture, then immediately stop.
- Place 1 layer of rhubarb in the bottom of the muffin tin. Fill tin 2/3 of the way full and top with a solid layer of lemon zest crumble.
- If using large 8 oz muffin tins, bake for approximately 25 min. When a tooth pick comes out clean, immediately remove from oven and run a thin blade knife around the edge of each cakette. Allow to cool for 2 minutes in the tin before gently flipping over onto cooling rack. Enjoy with afternoon tea or with a dollop of greek yogurt or vanilla ice-cream for a delicious summer dessert.