Comfort snacks are one of my favorite things about this time of year. A warm, freshly baked soft pretzel always puts a smile on my face. It is filling, packed with delicious flavor and fun to nibble on while watching my favorite show or game. We use Olivio in the dough to give delicious buttery flavor from the inside out. Don’t forget to keep some Olivio out on the table too. Olivio Buttery Spread and Olivio Buttery Spray both make delicious condiments with this fun snack.
- Feed your yeast by combining the warm water with yeast and 1/2 cup of brown sugar and let stand for 10 minutes or until top is frothy.
- Roll up your sleeves! In the bowl of an electric mixer, use your hands to mix the flour, salt and Olivio until dough is crumbly. Fit the bowl into the mixer and add the yeast mixture. Using a dough hook, mix the dough for 10 minutes on medium low speed. *Add a dusting of flour if the dough won’t pull away from sides. Add a little more water if the dough appears too dry and can’t bind.
- Immediately cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or over night.
- Preheat the oven to 450*. Bring a large pot of 8 cups of water, beer and baking soda to a simmer. Meanwhile, prepare two baking sheets with Olivio Buttery Spray to create a non-stick surface.
- On a lightly floured surface, press the dough into a 14×12″ rectangle and slice into twelve 14″ ropes. Roll dough approx 24″ long ropes and twist into traditional pretzel forms. Place on the buttered baking sheet.
- One at a time, submerge in the simmering beer mixture and poach for 60 seconds. Pull from water and return to the buttered baking tray to top with your favorite toppings. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until a rich amber brown.
- Serve warm with a side of Olivio!