Thanksgiving is here and we are busy in the kitchen. Just as much as we love coming together around the table, we also love leftovers the day after! Be sure to roast enough turkey so everyone gets an extra slice. Here is our family’s favorite technique for a moist, aromatic bird that cooks in about half the time as a traditional turkey.
- To make the rub for the turkey, combine toasted anise seed, kosher salt, orange zest, dark brown sugar, rosemary, thyme and cracked pepper in a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Rub all over the outside of the turkey.
- Place in the refrigerator for 6-18 hours, uncovered.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- Arrange turkey on a layer of onions, carrots and celery so that turkey won’t roast in it’s own drippings.
- Preheat oven to 450* and roast for 30 minutes before lowering the oven to 350* and bake for another hour or until the internal temperature reaches 165*.
- Meanwhile, melt the Olivio Buttery Spread with the remaining 1 tsp anise seed and 4 strips of orange peel. Baste the turkey with the Olivio Orange Mixture every 20 minutes.
- Allow to rest 15 minutes before slicing.