I love using Sweet Italian Sausage in this classic ragu because it already comes loaded with great seasoning and texture. Simmering the meat in a classic ragu brings out the layers of flavors. Also, consider adding more vegetables. The flavor is rich in this dish and veggies add great texture and nutrition without taking away from the classic flavors. The hearty texture makes this especially filling on a cool night!
- Cook pasta to package instructions and generously spray with Olivio Buttery Spray immediately after straining to keep pasta from sticking and add rich, delicious, buttery flavor.
- In a large sauté pan on medium high heat, brown the Italian Sausage 2-3 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to break up the large pieces as the meat cooks.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until onions are slightly translucent and the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste and Olivio Buttery Spread. Stir to incorporate and then add the yellow pepper, carrots, and basil. Cook 1-2 minutes to allow the peppers and carrots to absorb the delicious sausage juices then add the canned tomatoes, sugar and red pepper flakes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot over buttery pasta and garnish with grated Parmigianno Regiano. Buon appetito!